Bristol taxpayers will pay a stiff price for a series of bomb threats against their schools. The cost to the city is in the tens of thousands of dollars for each threat.
A whopping eight of Bristol’s twelve schools have received bomb threats over the last week and a half. And, the mayor has a message for any other would-be copycats.
“I’m hoping that now that they see three children have been caught word is out there that don’t do it anymore because this is not fun it is not a game this is serious business,” said Mayor Ken Cockayne.
Three students, two ten year olds and a 13 year old, have been arrested in connection with these fake bomb threats. The superintendent of schools says another is on the way.
“I feel confident that we are going to have an arrest in the next 24 to 48 hours,” said Dr. Ellen Solek, Superintendent of Bristol Public Schools.
She says cops expect to make an arrest in the threat of the Greene-Hill School, which was called in yesterday. And, she added, security is noticeably beefed up.
“Officers on school grounds, just cruising around school grounds, to make sure that everything is running smoothly,” Solek said. “And, we have additional staff placed inside our schools as well to monitor student movement.”
One parent, with a kindergartner at the Edgewood School, which also received a bomb threat Thursday, says she asked city officials why the response protocols change with each threat.
“Because the day before, Chippens threat was writing on their wall and four dogs were there with the bomb squad,” said Danielle Holton. “But yesterday, here (Edgewood), there was nothing, but the police presence.”
Police responded by saying it’s all based on the credibility of each threat. But, why all these threats? Holton theorizes that today’s children are desensitized to any potentially dangerous consequences.
“It’s like a game it’s like you know they’re probably excited to see something blowup cause it’s just like the video game,” she added. “You know, like it’s a thrill and it’s a high.”