• Carry plenty of water for each person in the vehicle.
• If traffic is not moving, do not use the accessory setting of your vehicle to listen to the radio, or use any other devices that could drain the battery.
• While running the air conditioning, keep an eye on the dash. If the vehicle starts to overheat, shut it off immediately and open the hood to allow the engine to cool.
• If air conditioning is not an option, open windows on both sides of the vehicle to cross ventilate.
• Carry a windshield sun shade to provide some relief from the sun.
• If you break down, staying in your vehicle is usually the safest option. If however the heat becomes too much and traffic shows no signs of moving, consider seeking shelter in the shade. If there are trees or an overpass nearby that would provide shade, take a break and give your body time to cool off.
– Aaron Kupec AAA