3 Firefighters Injured After Fire At New Haven Pub

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Firefighters continue to fight fire and heavy smoke at Delaney's Tap Room in New Haven more than five hours after the blaze started.

New Haven Public Information Officer David Hartman told FOX CT three firefighters were injured and treated--one was suffering from chest pains, while the other two were sent for smoke inhalation.

In all, more than 45 firefighters are involved in putting out the blaze.

The fire chief told FOX CT that the fire, which started when a charged electrical wire snapped, spread into the walls and spread across the building.

The building is a total loss, and fire officials tell FOX CT it will be torn down tomorrow.

John Nazario, the owner of the nearby New West Cafe, and local residents Michele Pearson and Dave Comacho provided aid to the firefighters across the street from Delaney's Tap Room as the firefighters worked. Pearson sent FOX CT the following raw footage of the fire:

There was so much smoke that at times it was too dangerous to even see. A floor collapsed early on in the fire, and the ceiling eventually caved in. As of 11:15 p.m. firefighters were gaining progress on fighting the fire, but it still isn't under control.

Residents on Whalley Avenue tell FOX CT they were evacuated at around 9:30 p.m., but all individuals who were in the building in which the fire were evacuated safely before the fire really took off.

Officer Hartman said that about four city blocks are without power due to the fire.

Here is a tweet showing the collapsing building early on in the evening, and below are photos from the scene.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.