Bond commission approves $5 million for new Sandy Hook School
HARTFORD – Gov. Daniel Malloy and the state Bond Commission met for the first time since July on Wednesday. The governor had prioritized projects that were on the agenda to be voted on and a big one included details about the new Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The commission approved a $5 million grant for the Town of Newtown to finance ongoing planning and design costs for a new Sandy Hook Elementary School.
“The State of Connecticut joins the people of Newtown in their resolve to move forward despite the most challenging of circumstances,” said Governor Malloy. “This project is a necessary part of the recovery process, and will continue to be a priority even after students are attending classes in their new school.”
Construction is underway in Newtown. The design team said the theme is a “Welcoming embrace of the children.” Designers stressed a connection with nature, and strategically keeping spaces open to the trees and water. The school’s security features include cameras and special locks. It will be secure without feeling like a jail. The school will be big enough for 500 students and 86,000 square feet. For now, there is no memorial planned at the school, but the site of the tragedy will be preserved.
This is all after the Sandy Hook Advisory Commission, a team appointed by Governor Malloy after the tragedy, had a meeting last week. It makes regular recommendations on mental health, school security and safety and gun violence. It is near the end of submitting its final report to the state.
The new school is slated to be ready for occupancy for the start of school in the fall of 2016.