CTfastrak to start bus service in March
NEWINGTON–The upcoming bus rapid transit system finally has a launch date: March 28, 2015.
The Connecticut Department of Transportation announced on Tuesday that before the system launches it will hold open houses to inform the public about the new routes and benefits offered by CTfastrak.
CTfastrak is a bus rapid transit system that will have a series of routes on roadways that are for buses only, which is meant to improve travel time. The buses will only use local roads for riders to reach destinations that are off the direct routes, such as Westfarms Mall; Manchester Community College; UConn Health Center and CCSU.
A Hartford Express Bus will also operate between Bristol, Cheshire, Southington and Waterbury, and stops will be at free park and ride lots. The buses then enter the bus roadway in New Britain, and continue non-stop to Sigourney Street in Hartford. In all, 10 new stations are being constructed and a five-mile recreation trail is being built along the roadway between New Britain and Newington for runners, bikers and pedestrians.
“The bus-only roadway will allow CTfastrak buses to avoid the often-jammed sections of I-84 west of Hartford,” said CTDOT Commissioner James P. Redeker. “That means that customers can count on consistent, reliable service and dramatically improved travel times…including evening and Sunday CTTransit bus service in New Britain and Bristol.”
Here are the dates, times and locations of the upcoming open house events:
- Hartford–Dec. 2 from 6-8 p.m. at the Hartford Public Library, 500 Main St.
- Hartford–Dec. 4 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Old State House, 800 Main St.
- New Britain–Dec. 9 from 6-8 p.m. at CCSU’s Institute of Technology & Business Development, 185 Main St.
- West Hartford–Dec. 10 from 6-8 p.m. at the Elmwood Community Center, 1106 New Britain Ave.
- Newington–Dec. 15 from 6-8 p.m. at Newington High School, 605 Willard Ave.
- Waterbury–Dec. 17 from 6-8 p.m. at Waterbury City hall, 235 Grand St.
- Southington–Jan. 13 from 6-8 p.m. at the Southington Municipal Center, 196 N. Main St.
- Plainville–Jan. 14 from 6-8 p.m. at the Plainville Library, 56 E. Main St.
- Cheshire–Jan. 21 from 6-8 p.m. at Cheshire Town Hall, 84 S. Main St.
- Bristol–Jan. 22 from 4-8 p.m. at the Bristol Library, 5 High St.