Back-to-school tips to start the year off right
What’s on your Summer #CTBucketList?

Arrest made in 2011 killing of mother in Norwich

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORWICH - Police have made an arrest in connection to the 2011 murder of Jaclyn Wirth.  Lashawn Cecil, 33, of Norwich was arrested Wednesday morning on charges of murder, felony murder, criminal possession of a firearm and criminal attempt at first-degree burglary.

"He's been on the radar for awhile,” said Norwich Police Chief Louis Fusaro, “but we needed to develop the information to actually get an arrest warrant and make the arrest."

Police say in the early morning hours of December 14th, 2011, Wirth heard a noise outside of her apartment on East Baltic Street. She got up to investigate and that’s when someone shot through the door, striking her seven times. Even though she was severely hurt, she was able to call police. During the call, police say her two young boys, at the time 2 and 7, could be heard begging their mother to "not pass out."

Wirth eventually succumbed to her injuries.

"I don't get it, i don't get it, but let him rot," said Peggy Lufkin, Wirth's aunt of Cecil, outside the courtroom on Wednesday.

She doesn't believe her niece knew him.

"He wouldn't do that if he knew her. There's no reason because she has nothing to do with him," Lufkin said.

Chief Fusaro said investigators think Wirth and Cecil had a connection, but would not comment on a motive or reveal much else because of Cecil's pending conviction and because Fusaro anticipates more arrests.

"We're going to continue to work the case until everyone involved has been arrested,” said Fusaro.

Investigators have already logged hundreds of interviews and countless amounts of hours. Wirth was featured as the Queen of Diamonds on their latest deck of Cold Case playing cards.

The case was "personal" to many in the Norwich Police Department, including Officer Scott DuPointe, who was first to respond to the scene.

"The day of the incident until now it’s been a thought in my head that we need to get this guy,” said DuPointe. "I was the last person to speak to her before she had passed away.  So, it's something that's going to stick with me for the rest of my life."

Lufkin said Wednesday was sad because it reminded everyone that Wirth is gone but also happy because they've waited so long for a suspect to be named in her death.

"They can rest in a peace a little bit more tonight and not worry that somebody is coming after them," said Lufkin of Wirth's sons, now 5 and 10. The boys stay with Lufkin.

Cecil's arrest warrant is sealed for at least 14 days.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Norwich Police Department and speak with Investigator Kyle Besse at 860-892-2892.

To learn more about other cold cases in CT, click here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.