Hartford Police make two arrests in brutal 2012 beating near Trinity

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARTFORD–Police have made two arrests in an assault case from 2012.

Veronica Marquez, 27, of Hartford was charged with assault in the second degree and conspiracy to commit assault in the second degree. She was arrested Thursday evening and is being held on a $250,000 bond. She is set to be arraigned Friday.

Pedro Carillo, 20, of Hartford, was already in the custody of the Connecticut Department of Corrections for unrelated charges. He will be charged when he next appears in court with assault in the second degree and conspiracy to commit assault in the second degree. Carillo has previously been arrested six times by Hartford Police and has been held on a $100,000 bond since September for an August 16, 2014 assault, for which he was charged with assault in the second degree.

The arrests stem from March 4, 2012, when Chris Kenny, a sophomore at the time at Trinity College, was beaten while walking on the edge of campus near Summit Street and Allen Place. He needed facial reconstructive surgery and suffered a broken jaw and cheekbone. He was walking with a friend between 2 and 3 a.m., but the friend was able to run away.

“A  car drove by and words were exchanged. A female got out and we believe she struck the male victim and then a physical altercation occurred with the other individuals in the car,” said Deputy Chief Brian Foley.

At the time, the family of the student who was assaulted and the school offered a $10,000 reward for any information leading to an arrest.

The suspects were described at the time as two white men and three white women, all in their 20s. They jumped out of a black coupe before attacking Kenny and robbing him of his phone and wallet. The other three suspects are still at large.

The arrests came about as detectives investigated a separate incident last week, and information from that unrelated investigation lead to arrest warrants being issued for Marquez and Carillo.

“I can tell you this case never went cold once,” said Foley.

Following the attack some worried students were behind the assault but police say Marquez and Carrillo never attended Trinity College.

Police said Trinity campus is now a much safer campus.