Suspect in fatal Newington hit-and-run turns himself in

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

newington hit and runNEWINGTON – A suspect in a fatal accident that killed a New Britain woman last month has turned himself in to Newington Police.

On Feb. 27 Sonya Atkins, 51, of New Britain, died shortly after the vehicle she was driving was struck by a pick-up truck at the intersection of Willard and Robbins Avenue.

The driver of the other vehicle, a dark red 1997 Ford F-150 pick-up truck with a temporary registration plate in the rear window, ran away from the scene, according to police.

martinezPolice identified Dennis Martinez, 35, of East Hartford, as the possible suspect, and put out a warrant for his arrest. He was expected to turn himself in on Tuesday, and Fox CT witnessed him enter the police station around 4:30 p.m.

Martinez is charged with manslaughter in the first degree, evading responsibility, reckless driving, operation of a motor vehicle with a suspended license, operating an unregistered motor vehicle, operating a motor vehicle without insurance and forgery in the second degree.

Martinez is being held on a $150,000 bond and will appear in court on March 11.

Witnesses to the accident described the suspect as a male wearing a baseball hat backwards, but no other information was provided at the time.

newington crashNewington Police said just before the fatal accident, the same Ford F-150  was involved in another hit-and-run collision near the parking lot of the Puerto Vallarta restaurant on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington.

Police did not say how they tied Martinez to the hit-and-run and stressed the charges he is in custody for are only related to the accident that killed Atkins.

Fox CT stopped by the last known address for Martinez in East Hartford seeking comment by people who knew him, but did not make contact with anyone. Fox CT also reached out to Martinez’s attorney for a comment, but did not hear back.

Atkins’s family said in a previous interview they’d only get closure in her death if the person responsible for it turned himself in. They did not agree to an interview after Martinez’s arrest.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.