Son faces judge after being charged with killing his own father

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW BRITAIN--A New Britain man appeared before a judge on Monday to face a charge of killing his own father.

Dozens of family members and friends went to New Britain Superior Court for the hearing of Antoine Greene, 32. Just moments after a judge ordered Greene held on $1 million bond, family could be heard saying "We love you, Antoine."

Greene was arrested on Saturday for murdering his father, William "Billy" Greene, 59, at their Short Street apartment, police said.

Police received a call right after 8 a.m. Saturday from Antoine Greene who stated that he found his father laying face down in a pool of blood. Police arrived and found Billy Greene with a deep wound to his neck. Greene was still warm, indicating that he had died recently, police said.

Antoine Greene volunteered to be interviewed by police. During that interview he stated that he did not know what happened to his father and said he did not hear or see anything. Police noted that Antoine showed "no emotion or concern" during the interview.

Police then interviewed Antoine's mother, Jackie Greene, who had left for work that morning prior to Antoine's 911 call.

Jackie told police that Antoine has a drug problem and that the night before Billy's death, she and her husband had addressed it with him. She stated, "There was no yelling, threats, or physical violence," according to court documents. She said Antoine told them he felt like he "couldn't breathe in their house" and that he believed the phones were wiretapped.

Jackie's interview also pointed out some inconsistencies in Antoine's story, including the fact that he told police he was in his bedroom when his mother left for work Saturday morning. Jackie told police he was awake and watching television.

Neighbors told Fox CT they often see Antoine Greene around the first-floor apartment where he lived with his mother and father.

"Just a very quiet kid, he never caused any problems. I never heard him yell loud or anything," said Tammy Prentice, a resident of the third floor of the multi-family apartment building.

In court on Tuesday it was revealed that Antoine has some criminal convictions, including for criminal trespass, violations of probation and possession of marijuana. He was on probation at the time he was arrested.

Friends were shocked to hear of Billy Greene's death. They described as well-known and involved in the community. They also said he loved singing and karaoke.

A tribute event has been set up at Roma Sports Bar and Grill in New Britain for Wednesday evening. Greene was known to sing karaoke at the bar and was referred to by his nickname, "Too Sweet."

"As we ALL know 'Too Sweet' loved his music and to SING!" Event organizer Jennifer Beaudoin wrote on Facebook. "Please join me in celebrating his life and embrace each other with hugs and hearing some of his favorite songs."

Antoine Greene is due back in court on April 6.