Did you wait until the last minute? Here are some tax day tips
HARTFORD – It’s April 15 and that means it’s the last day to file your taxes.
If you’ve waited this long to file, at the very least get it done first thing in the morning.
Also, keep in mind that many post offices are not offering extended hours because fewer people are sending their returns through mail and more are filing online.
The site gobankingrates.com compiled a list of post offices across the country that are offering extended hours and here in Connecticut no one found one post office that’s staying open past 5:30 p.m.
The IRS estimates that 1 in 5 people wait until the last week to file and if you’ve waited until the last possible day below are some tips to help you through the process.
Tax Day Tips:
- If you’re filing you taxes through the post office in a blue collection box, double check the time of the last pickup to ensure it gets the April, 15 postmark.
- Make sure you have the correct amount of postage.
- It’s also recommended that you forgo first class mail and spend a couple extra dollars and send it certified or registered since those services provide proof that you sent it by the deadline.
- If you plan on filing online you can do so for free on the IRS website and you can find tax forms there as well.
- If you need help finalizing your return, places like Liberty Tax Service, H&R Block and other tax preparation services are there to help you.
- Lastly, if you can’t make the deadline to file your taxes you can file an extension but you must do so today to avoid fines.
Tax day doesn’t have to be burdensome, click here for a list of tax day deals.