STORRS — The Uconn Huskies have just added a real slugger to their lineup.
The baseball team ceremoniously signed 5-year-old Grayson Hand, of Sturbridge, Massachusetts, on Monday. UConn teamed up with Team IMPACT to make it happen. IMPACT is an organization that matches college teams with children who face life-threatening and chronic illnesses.
Grasyon is battling Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
“We’ve found that the best teams never have enough brave, courageous and tough people to make them up,” said Head Coach Jim Penders. “In reading about Grayson’s story, we know that he’s one of those people, and we know that his family is too.”
After getting outfitted with a jersey and cap, Grayson signed his contract.
“This is truly a special day here in Storrs,” Penders said.
Team IMPACT has matched children up with other teams in Connecticut:
- UConn Men’s Hockey
- SCSU Men’s Basketball
- SCSU Track & Field
- SCSU Baseball
- ECSU Men’s Soccer
- WCSU Men’s Lacrosse
- Wesleyan University Swimming & Diving
- Wesleyan University Men’s Soccer
- Wesleyan Softball
- Wesleyan Women’s Lacrosse
- University of Hartford Women’s Basketball
- University of Hartford Men’s Basketball
- University of Hartford Men’s Lacrosse
- University of Hartford Baseball
- University of Hartford Men’s Soccer
- Yale Football
- Trinity Men’s Basketball
- Trinity Football
- Trinity Softball
- Trinity Men’s Lacrosse
- University of New Haven Baseball
- University of New Haven Softball
- US Coast Guard Academy Men’s Soccer
- Connecticut College Men’s Hockey
- Quinnipiac Men’s Lacrosse
- Quinnipiac Men’s Hockey
- Post University Men’s Basketball