Malloy offers state aid as Hartford homicides increase to 17

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARTFORD — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says he’s happy to work with Hartford officials to help fight the rising number of city homicides.

The fatal shooting early Tuesday morning of a man outside his Pliny Street home marked the city’s 17th homicide. Malloy called it “serious business” when there have been two fewer homicides so far in 2015 compared with last year’s total of 19.

Malloy said the spike in the capital city is “not being repeated in other communities” and he wants to work with the city. He said the state has anti-recidivism programs in Hartford, but the city has not yet asked the state for any additional assistance.

Malloy commented after touring the Hartford Correctional Center and meeting with inmates about his new criminal justice reforms.

Segarra on Thursday evening released a letter requesting three additional state police detectives, three additional inspectors from the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office and additional parole and probation staff.

In a letter sent Friday to Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra, Malloy said the state will provide additional assistance to the city during this “difficult time.” However, the governor said state officials would like to discuss the city’s current strategy to fight violence and understand how it would use the additional resources.