HARTFORD - Mayor Pedro Segarra has reached out to the state for assistance after a surge in violence in the capital city.
In a letter sent to Governor Dannel P. Malloy on Thursday, Segarra requested three state police detectives, three inspectors from the Chief State's Attorney's office, and full-time parole and probation employees to aid the Shooting Task Force. Hartford currently has one detective, one inspector, and part-time parole and probation staff.
"This year's increase in violent crimes is a regional issue," Segarra wrote, "as we have experienced suspects and defendants who reside in East Hartford, Bloomfield, and Windsor."
Governor Malloy told reporters Friday that he was looking into supporting Hartford and will convene an emergency meeting of federal, state, and local law enforcement personnel to discuss the issue.
"We absolutely see part of our role to be supportive of local police departments, particularly when they're challenged as Hartford clearly is at the moment," Malloy said.
Thus far in 2015, the city of Hartford has endured 17 homicides. The latest victim is a father of six who was shot outside his home on Pliny Street. Last year, the city saw 19 homicides total.
"They keep talking about how safe this city is. For who?" anti-violence advocate Reverend Henry Brown asked outside a city Dunkin Donuts.
Brown called the request to the state a temporary fix and urged more long-term investment in Hartford's police department. He also questioned why the Governor had not reached out to the city earlier in the summer.
"Why should the Mayor ask the Governor for anything? The Governor's office is right there. You don't know what's going on in the capital city?" Brown asked.