AMBER ALERT – Share to help find missing 1-year-old
What’s on your Winter #CTBucketList?

Seymour man arrested for abducting his estranged wife

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEYMOUR – A Seymour man wanted for a domestic disturbance and abduction of his estranged wife was taken into custody Friday without incident, according to police.

Police say the incident occurred during the early morning hours of Saturday, August 29, during a domestic disturbance in which a female victim was potentially taken against her will.

Shortly after midnight, police got a 911 call from a Seymour resident who lives in the area of Brookdale Road. He reported a disturbance across the street from his residence and heard a woman screaming for help. He said the couple involved in the disturbance were getting into a vehicle and were about to leave the area.

Police arriving on scene encountered a gray pickup truck traveling in the opposite direction at high rate of speed attempted to leave the area, unsuccessfully trying to ram police cruisers.

The pickup truck entered Route 8 South at the Exit 19 entrance ramp and continued traveling Route 8 South at a high rate of speed. Police weren’t able to catch up to the pickup truck and eventually lost sight of it in the area of Route 8 South at Exit 14.

Alan Gombos, 33, was identified as the suspect. Police searched for Gombos throughout the day on Saturday but were unable to locate him. In the late afternoon he arrived at the Seymour Police Department to turn himself in.

He was arrested Saturday evening for breach of peace, first-degree reckless endangerment, reckless driving, and engaging police in pursuit. He posted bail of $100,000.

Following further investigation, police obtained a warrant to arrest Gombos again. On Friday morning, police learned that Gombos was at a home in Shelton. Shelton police were notified and arrested Gombos.

Once back at the Seymour Police Department he was charged and processed with second-degree kidnapping, first-degree unlawful restraint, first-degree strangulation, sexual assault of a spouse/ cohabitor, and second-degree assault.

He was released from police custody after posting $200,000 bail and is scheduled to appear on Tuesday at the Derby Superior Court.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.