Hartford’s Mayor Segarra suspends his campaign and throws support to Bronin

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARTFORD -- Mayor Pedro Segarra is suspending his campaign for mayor and endorsing his primary challenger, Luke Bronin.

Segarra held a news conference Tuesday morning to update his supporters on his campaign plans after he lost the primary election to Bronin. Bronin had been endorsed by the Democratic Party.

Segarra said he made his decision after consulting his husband and supporters.

“I think this about all Democrats from all corners of the city coming together,” Segarra said.

Bronin appeared at the press conference and thanked Segarra for his support.

"I have enormous respect for Mayor Segarra's commitment to this city, his love for this city, for all he's given to this city,” Bronin said.

Last Wednesday,  voters chose the Democratic Party-endorsed candidate, Bronin, over incumbent Segarra. Segarra said at the time he would take a few days to decide whether or not he would run as an Independent in the November election.

Bronin is now up against Republican Ted Cannon, as well as Joel Cruz, who is running as an unaffiliated candidate in the general election in November.

You can view Segarra's full press conference below: