She had tips for students and parents to cope with the changes.
- Understand that the feeling is normal
- Familiarize yourself with the campus and surrounding area.
- Get involved in organizations/activities
- Utilize resources at school (residential life, counseling, health center, academic support)
- Connect with family and friends from home (do not make home connections the sole contacts)
- Allow the student to develop independence
- Support the feelings, do not RESCUE
- Encourage involvement with others, activities, organizations.
- Limit facilitating all of the phone calls to resources on campus, encourage independence.