Hungry dog tries to steal pizza, causes fire in Waterbury home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WATERBURY —  A hungry dog caused a fire at a home in Waterbury and the whole event was caught on camera.

And it’s making headlines across the country, featured on the show “Inside Edition.”

A black lab named Brookfield was sniffing around some pizza boxed that were on a stove top when he knocked one of the burners on.

The pizza box caught fire moments later. The family was lucky, home owner Gary Leclair was able to put the fire out right away.

It should serve as a warning to pet owners, according to the show, around 700 fires are caused by pets every year.