As the holiday’s approach people should know that holiday stress, overeating and excess salt in diet can increase blood pressure.
Most importantly too many people with dangerously high blood pressure levels remain underdiagnosed or undertreated.
Dr. Anita Kelsey, a Cardiologist and director of the Women’s Heart Institute at St. Francis Hospital joined FOX 61 Good Day Connecticut with tips to manage your blood pressure.
Everyone should know their blood pressure and learn what they can do to reduce it for instance:
- Decrease weight to ideal body weight (body mass index <25)
- Perform aerobic exercise every day for at least 30 minutes at a moderate to brisk pace
- Eat less than 1600 mg sodium daily
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Take medications as prescribed by your physician and check your blood pressure regularly, contacting your doctor if it remains elevated
- If you find yourself under stress remove yourself from the stressor or learn ways to cope with that stress. Try meditation, YOGA, massage, or go for a run!
Come for a free risk assessment and education class at the Women’s Heart Program (860) 714-6389