NH prep school grad convicted in sex case has bail revoked after missing curfew
CONCORD, N.H. — Bail has been revoked for a graduate of an exclusive New England prep school who was convicted of sexually assaulting a younger student.
Twenty-year-old Owen Labrie was taken into custody Friday after a judge in Merrimack County Superior Court found that he violated conditions of his bail.
Labrie had been free on bail and living with his mother in Tunbridge, Vermont while he appealed his one-year jail sentence and the requirement that he register as a sex offender. Curfew was part of his bail requirement, but a prosecutor said he violated it at least eight times.
A lawyer for the 20-year-old Labrie acknowledged that his client “tried, admittedly, to fly under the radar on three occasions.” He says Labrie was sorry.
Labrie was convicted in August 2015 of five counts, including one felony count of the use of an online service to seduce/solicit/entice a child under 16 to commit sexual assault, regarding the 2014 encounter at the elite St. Paul’s School in Concord. He also was convicted of three counts of misdemeanor sexual assault and child endangerment, however, he was acquitted of the most serious charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault.
At the time of the assault, the accuser was 15 and Labrie was an 18-year-old senior. Labrie was arrested days after graduation.
Authorities said the encounter was part of a school tradition called the “Senior Salute” in which seniors sought to have sexual encounters with younger students — though the school has denied that such a tradition exists.
With additional reporting from CNN