PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- A California man died Sunday after he was electrocuted in a family swimming pool, according to KESQ.
According to the Palm Springs Police Department, 43-year-old James Tramel dove into the pool to save children who had been shocked and were turning blue.
The man died at a local hospital. A 9-year-old girl who he was trying to rescue remains in critical condition and a 10-year-old girl is in stable condition.
Four other people were treated and released.
"Some of these homes are 25, 30 years old or older ... They can deteriorate so maybe it is something that needs to be looked at," said neighbor, Scott Aaronson.
Stephen Little, who has been working with pools for more than 16 years, said inspections on a pool's electrical work should be done twice a year.
"Lights are required by national electric code to be grounded and bonded, and that is one of the primary things that should be inspected at least twice a year," he said.
Little added that if the GFI is working properly it should shut off power to the pool if there is a problem.
A total of seven people were shocked during the Easter Sunday pool party.