ANSONIA — A blaze gutted a two-family home in Ansonia overnight, displacing residents and injuring two firefighters.
Tankers from the Ansonia Fire Department and Derby Fire Department were called out to 45 Platt Street around 2 a.m. after occupants woke up to the scent of thick smoke.
Two firefighters received lacerations during the incident. They were transported to an area hospital for treatment of minor injuries and later released.
The home’s upper floor was heavily desecrated by the flames. Water and smoke damage was found on the first floor.
Two families were living in the home prior to the blaze. They are now receiving assistance from the Red Cross after being displaced.
Fire officials noted a backyard barbecue had taken place at the property Saturday night. They believe someone cleaning up ended up putting hot ashes into the trash, causing them to smolder and eventually ignite.
Despite the evidence thus far leading to a strong hypothesis, investigators stress they are still combing over the finer details for anything they may have missed.
The Ansonia Fire Marshal’s Office is handling the investigation.