HARTFORD -- Teaching kids to cook is a great way to give them a lifetime skill and help them to make healthy nutrition choices.
Taylor Greenberg, blogger at The Little Chef That Could, pediatric emergency department nurse and chef, and Alex Hankey, a former oncology patient, joined FOX 61 Good Day Connecticut with this healthy recipe for Butternut squash.
- 2 cups of cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup of low fat cream cheese
- 1 box of whole wheat pasta, gluten free also works!
- 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Boil the cubed butternut squash until tender, about 20 minutes
- Cook the pasta according to package directions
- Add the chicken broth to a medium sized pan over medium heat and add the cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- Stir until a sauce forms, it should be melted and a thickness that coats the back of a spoon
- Add the squash to the cheese, the squash should easily fall apart and become part of the cheese sauce
- Add the drained cooked pasta and evenly coat with the cheese sauce
- Place in a 8x13 baking dish and top with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and top is brown and crispy