West Hartford man accused of antagonizing police, vandalizing town center

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WEST HARTFORD — Police arrested a man after several hours of playing cat-and-mouse with him across town.

Police say they took Jared Schlar, 31, into custody from the middle of Farmington Avenue in West Hartford, where he was sitting in a chair in the road just before 5 a.m. He told the arresting officers “I was waiting for you.”

It all started around 2:30 a.m. Officers who were out on patrol stopped to speak to several people sitting in a suspicious car in the Fernridge Park parking lot. Before the officers left, one individual approached them and said he was “livestreaming” the officers’ activity. At that point the officers decided to leave the area.

At 2:42 a.m. a person who identified himself as Jared Schlor with Web Marketing LLC called 911 to report that “a cop car” performed “illegal activity” at “Fern Park.” About 25 seconds into the call the line went dead, but he called back 911 two minutes later to say he was hung up on after a crime was committed. At that point he said “We have redundancy, so surrender now or f*** you!” It appears he was referring to his video when he said redundancy.

Police then say that Schlor began tweeting about his hatred for police and his location as he walked through West Hartford Center.

Around 3:45 a.m. an officer saw that a West Hartford Police Department employee’s motorcycle had been knocked over and damaged in the department parking lot, and the gate for the lot had also been damaged. Surveillance video caught the incident.

About an hour later a West Hartford Streets employee called police to say he found areas of West Hartford Center had been vandalized, and a few minutes later he told officers he saw someone sitting in a chair in the middle of Farmington Avenue.

When police arrived and spoke to the man they identify as Schlor, he said the comment that he was “waiting” for the police. However, he resisted arrest and ended up injuring an officer and damaging a police cruiser.

Around 5:45 a.m. a Whole Foods supervisor called to say someone had pushed a shopping cart through the glass front door and smashed two watermelons. Surveillance video showed a person who looked like Schlor doing those actions at 3:18 a.m.

Once police linked all the incidents, thy say, “It was clear that after Jared’s initial attempt to lure police to him while provoking a response, he walked toward West Hartford Center.”

Schlor is charged with interfering with an officer, assault on a peace officer, breach of peace, reckless use of a highway by a pedestrian, two counts of first-degree criminal mischief, two counts of second-degree criminal mischief and three counts of refusal to be fingerprinted. He’s being held on $100,000 bond.