As the Taste of Hartford continues, Chef Dino Cialfi from Peppercorn's Grill joined FOX 61 Good Day Connecticut to make Cavatelli alla Barese with Broccoli di rapa and housemade Sausage that will be featured during the Taste of Hartford, July 18 to 31. For more information, click here.
Recipe for Cavatelli alla Barese with Broccoli di rapa and housemade Sausage
Ingredients for cavatelli
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups water
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the flour on a wooden board and make a well.
- Add the water and the salt in the center of the well.
- With a fork, start incorporating the flour and the water until you get a thick batter.
- With the help of a dough scraper, incorporate the rest of the flour (it may appear to you that there isn't enough water...just keep on kneading...magically everything comes together).
- Knead for about 8-10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 1 hour at room temperature.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll out each piece about a ¼ inch thick. (If the dough is not easy to roll out, let it rest for another hour or so). Make sure your board and rolling pin are floured.
- Cut the into ¾ - 1 inch strips.
- Cut each strip into ¼ - ½ inch pieces.
- Using the index finger, apply a gentle pressure on the dough, dragging it toward you. There should be a slight curl formed.
- Place cavatelli on large baking sheets which has been dusted with flour in a single layer, not touching each other.
- Continue until all the dough has been formed into cavatelli.
- If using immediately, drop in a large pot of salted boiling water for a few minutes. The cavatelli are done when they float to the top.
Ingredients for sauce:
- 1lb fresh homemade sausage
- 4 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 hot dry hot peperoncino or some hot pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches broccoli di rapa(washed thoroughly, blanched and chopped
- Pecorino romano
- 1lb. cavatelli
Start off by slowly cooking the pieces of sausage till nice and crispy on the outside. Add garlic and caramelize till golden brown. Next throw in the hot pepper and broccoli di rapa. Sear off till caramelized. Salt to taste. Cook the cavatelli till al dente in salted water about 3 minutes and then add to the broccoli di rapa mixture and blend nicely. Cheese to taste and serve.