2 children remain hospitalized at CCMC after Vernon house explosion
VERNON–At least two people remain hospitalized following a house explosion in Vernon last week.
Last Thursday, a house on East Street exploded due to a leak in a gas line from a propane tank to a drying machine. Six people were taken to the hospital, and the seventh who was in the house at the time refused medical treatment.
Of the seven victims, four were children. Two–a 7-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl–remain hospitalized at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center in good condition. The others were discharged from the hospital.
Of the two adults who were hospitalized, the 23-year-old man has been discharged from Hartford Hospital. No information is available about Nicole Kerstetter, 35, and Vernon police say that’s most likely because she requested privacy.
Matt Kerstetter issued a statement on behalf of his family;
Words cannot justify how grateful I am to the Vernon, Ellington and Tolland Fire Departments, Vernon Police Department, the CT Search and Rescue Team, all members of EMS, all first responders and neighbors who jumped in after the house explosion for saving the lives of my family members on East Street in Vernon. All those involved in the search and rescue are truly HEROES. Their acts of heroism, along with their bravery and courage will be with the Kerstetter family eternally.
Most of the victims were related to each other.
Two dogs were killed in the explosion.
A source close to the family told FOX 61 that they are asking for privacy, but are in need of help; everything they owned was destroyed. Donations can be dropped off during business hours at the main office of the Vernon Public Schools, where several of the victims are students. A GoFundMe has also been established.