Who to call if you lose power in CT
WEATHER WATCH: Tracking wind and rain Wednesday night into Thursday morning
What’s on your Fall #CTBucketList?

UConn students attempt to burn bees, set fire to apartment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STORRS — Fire officials say several University of Connecticut students were displaced after they sparked a small fire at their Storrs apartment complex while attempting to burn some bees.

The Hartford Courant reports the students were lighting a charcoal grill behind the Carriage House Townhomes around 6:40 p.m. Tuesday when they noticed the bees by their apartment’s brick facade.

The students sprayed the insects with lighter fluid, which ignited and started a fire in the wood frame behind the facade.

Fire officials say the blaze was extinguished quickly and no one was injured. The wall and the kitchens of two apartments were damaged by the flames.

The students who reside in the affected apartments have been placed in temporary housing for a few days while repairs are made.

Google Map for coordinates 41.811137 by -72.275384.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.