What’s on your Spring #CTBucketList?

11-year-old South Carolina boy dies playing ‘choking game’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Garrett Pope, Jr., 11 (Credit: FOX News)

A South Carolina boy who just started the sixth grade has died while playing the “choking game,” a tragic fad responsible for the deaths of other youngsters over the years, according to FOX News.

Eleven-year-old Garrett Pope Jr. of Indian Land, was found dead in his bedroom Wednesday after playing the game, which causes children to pass out and wake up with a euphoric rush.

The local coroner said Garrett’s death was due to accidental asphyxiation.

In 2008 the U.S. Centers for Disease Control of Disease issued a report that found that 82 children from 6 to 19 had choked themselves to death with dog leashes, bungee cords, scarves and belts while playing the choking game from 1995 to 2007.

All but a few were boys, at an average age of about 13, the CDC found.

Read more here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.