Bristol mom Jennifer Long's seventh-grade son, Elijah, was told by a girl in his class on Monday that he was on her "stab list."
Long received a call from the principal about the incident while she was at work. Long said she asked several questions during the call. "So what's going to happen to this girl?" asked Long. "Is she going to get expelled?"
She said she did not receive sufficient answers. "All they kept saying is 'she's a minor, so we can't tell you anything,'" said Long.
Long said a Bristol police officer told her that the same student was expelled last year for bringing a knife to school. Long said her son is now afraid to go to school.
"He is more scared now," said Long. "He's like, 'great now that I told, she's really going to want to kill me.'"
On Wednesday night, Long was a radio guest on The Bristol Beat. Radio host Stevey Steve has a daughter in first grade at West Bristol. He was incredibly concerned to hear news of the stab list. "Now there's a stab list?" said Steve. "Are you kidding me?"
Both Steve and Long said they just want to know the specific measures the district is taking to keep their children safe.
West Bristol Principal Michelle LeVasseur sent home the following letter on Tuesday:
Yesterday a student was heard making an inappropriate comment to another student that was threatening in nature. While state privacy laws limit the amount of information I can share regarding student issues, I am writing to reassure you that the situation was handled in a timely manner, following school and district safety protocols. After conducting a thorough investigation, our administrative team worked with our Director of Safety, Deputy Superintendent and School Resource Officer to evaluate the level of threat and determine next steps. At no time were any members of our school community in danger.
The safety of every member of our West Bristol community is extremely important to me. In the event that there is an immediate threat or danger to your child or staff, you will be notified of the situation.
Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding any questions or concern you may have regarding this situation. I will be available after our PTO meeting on Tuesday, September 27th for further discussion about our safety procedures and routines.
Bristol Superintendent Ellen Solek released the following statement to FOX 61:
Maintaining a safe and secure school environment remains a primary focus for the Bristol Public Schools. With the constant support of School Resource Officers, local and state police, the district Safety and Security Director, and our highly-trained school administrators and staff, we immediately implement district policies, well-established safety protocols, electronic and tele-communications and all required actions, including disciplinary action, in each of our schools as warranted, as soon as a safety/security concern is reported.
We understand that our team of well-trained professionals, our extensive and established safety protocols, and our ability to exercise immediate and decisive action(s) are the key formulas for keeping all of our students safe and secure in the Bristol Public Schools.
Long is encouraging all parents to attend Bristol's next Board of Education meeting on October 5.