Nurse visiting Wallingford home rescues woman held in room, beaten for hours: police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WALLINGFORD — A visiting nurse who was in the right place at the right time helped rescue a woman who was in danger, police say.

On November 5, a nurse was visiting a Wallingford home when she noticed a woman in the home had bruising on her face. A 43-year-old man, who police identified as Michael Moccio, was in the home as well.

When the nurse was leaving, she heard a commotion, and then hear the woman yelling for help.

The nurse ran back inside, pulled the victim from the home and called 911. As they were escaping the home, Moccio allegedly followed, yelling threats at the nurse that he’d kill her. He then jumped in a car and sped off, nearly hitting the nurse with his car.

The victim later told the nurse she had been kept in a single room all night by Moccio, who threatened and hit her repeatedly, leading to the bruising on her face and a cut on her ear. She said that Moccio ordered her to put on make up in the morning to cover the bruising from the nurse, but the nurse noticed it anyway.

Police issued a warrant for Moccio’s arrest, but he couldn’t be found at first. In the mean time, the victim called police twice–later on November 5 and again in the early hours of the next day–because she thought she heard Moccio trying to break in.

Police say Moccio called them on November 8 to say he would not turn himself in, but they found him the next day in New Britain and arrested him.

Moccio is charged with unlawful restraint in the first degree, assault in the third degree, threatening in the second degree, violation of a protective order, breach of peace in the second degree and possession of narcotics. He was released on $25,000 bond and is due in court on Thursday.

Moccio has another case pending from an assault on the same victim. That incident occurred July 18, and he was charged with assault in the third degree, strangulation in the third degree and breach of peace.