What’s on your Spring #CTBucketList?

Suspect arrested in dumpster following death of Wethersfield K9; memorial planned for dog

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WETHERSFIELD — A week after a Wethersfield Police K9 was killed in the line of duty while searching for a suspect, that person has been located and arrested.

On November 23, Thor, a K9, died a day after being injured in the line of duty. He had been searching for a suspect in a possible kidnapping case.

The situation started on the evening of November 22 when a woman arrived at a police station and said her daughter had been beaten and was being held against her will. Police went to a nearby Motel 6 where they located the suspect and the chase began. Hartford police are also involved in the case.

Thor was involved in the search for the suspect, but police lost sight of both Thor and the suspect for quite some time.

When they did find Thor, about two hours later, he was injured and taken to the vet. Thor collapsed and died shortly after his handler arrived at the vet, and an ultrasound indicated his injury was related to a kick or fall.

On Tuesday, November 29, police arrested Chauncy Lamont Smith, 20, of Hartford. He was found by Hartford Police in a dumpster, and was subsequently taken into custody.

Smith has been charged by Wethersfield Police with interfering with police and violation of a protective order, but police are still investigating Thor’s death, and could possibly add charges.

He is currently being held on $100,000 bond.

On Tuesday, Wethersfield Police also told FOX 61 that a memorial has been planned to honor Thor’s two years of service to the community. It will take place December 8 from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Wethersfield Community Center, located at 30 Greenfield Street.

“He was one of ours and this is a tough time for the entire department,” said Wethersfield Police Chief James Cetran right after Thor’s death.

Thor was one of just two K9s with the Wethersfield Police Department.

The department wrote a message about Thor on their Facebook page after his death:

It is with great sadness that we announce the unexpected passing of Wethersfield Police K-9 Officer Thor. K-9 Thor passed away last night as a result of injuries he sustained in Monday’s foot pursuit of a kidnapping suspect. We will begin making formal arrangements to honor our fallen brother and will post the specifics once finalized. Our deepest condolences remain with Officer Nuno Martins and his family during this difficult time, just as K-9 Thor’s courage in deeds will remain in our hearts. Sergeant Jennie Rivera, Canine Unit Supervisor.

Stay with FOX 61 for updates of charges out of Hartford, and for coverage of Thor’s memorial.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.