Check here for delays and closings

Building damaged in natural gas explosion on Welton Street in New Haven

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW HAVEN --  An explosion in a natural gas feeder line damaged a commercial building Thursday morning.

The incident was heard throughout the New Haven and Hamden area shortly before 11:30 a.m.

According to officials, the incident was related to a natural gas feeder line to a commercial heater at 73 Welton St. and a portion of the building was blown out. A nearby house had minor damage.

New Haven fire officials said the initial call was for a hydrogen cyanide explosion. Once they were on the scene they determined it was actually a natural gas leak.  Officials said there was a container of sodium bisulfite had ruptured and material was on the ground. The chemical is not harmful or an explosive but it can be an irritant.  They believe the chemical's container was damaged as a result of the explosion. Power in the area was shut down briefly.

Everyone in the building was accounted for, and two people in vicinity of explosion were treated on scene for shock and released.

The Amtrak line near the building was shut down briefly to clear debris, but has since reopened.

Hazmat crews are also responding according to New Haven Fire's Twitter.

The business at that location is listed as H. Krevit & Company. According to their website, they manufacture cleaning and sanitizing chemicals.

Check back for further details as they develop.