Connecticut resident dies after eating recalled cheese

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARTFORD — The Department of Public Health is investigating after a Connecticut resident died after eating recalled cheese.

The FDA issued a safety recall for all lots of Vulto Creamery’s Ouleout, Miranda, Heinennellie, and Willowemoc soft wash-rind raw milk cheeses after they found Listeria contamination in the Ouleout cheese.

Listeria is a bacterium that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, pregnant women, and others with a weakened immune systems. People have been sickened by the outbreak in Connecticut, Florida, New York, and Vermont. Two of the people sickened have died, including a Connecticut resident, officials confirmed Thursday.

The FDA says the cheeses were distributed nationwide, most being sold at the retail locations in the North East, Mid-Atlantic States, California, Chicago, Portland, and Washington D.C.

If you have any of these cheeses, you’re advised to throw them out immediately.

Whole Foods in Connecticut had received cheese from Vulto for sales in Fairfield, and they had their own recall.

Officials are saying that refrigerators or display cases with the cheese should be washed and sanitized, as well as any cutting boards or cheese knives. Hands should be washed with warm water and soap following the cleaning.