Your latest weather forecast

Fire likely started by overheating extension cord displaces dozens at senior housing complex in Hamden

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAMDEN — Crews were called to a fire at an elderly housing complex in Hamden Friday morning. The fire broke out at the Davenport Dunbar Residence on Putnam Avenue around 6:45 a.m.

Many elderly residents were in the process of evacuating the building and needed help. Firefighters picked up some of the residents and carried them down the stairs to escape the blaze, officials said. In all, 35 people were removed from the home for senior citizens, who will be housed at a nearby community center for the time being. Several disabled residents were protected in place in their apartments or designated areas of refuge by firefighters above the fire floor.

One woman was taken to the hospital to be treated for exposure to smoke and cold temperatures.

The fire was under control by 7:25 a.m. Deputy Fire Marshal Tim Lunn said the fire most likely was sparked by an overheated extension cord.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.