CCMC Doctor: All elementary students ok, released from hospital following Glastonbury hazmat scare

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GLASTONBURY -- Twelve elementary school students at the Eastbury Elementary School in Glastonbury have been released from the Thursday following a hazmat incident.

A doctor from the Connecticut Children's Medical Center, said all 12 students are okay and have been released from the hospital. The doctor also added that the students became ill due to a hot classroom and there was no carbon monoxide detected in any of the students and the school.

The incident was first reported at about 10:45 Thursday morning when students began complaining of not feeling well.

Glastonbury Fire Department hazmat crews were called to the scene for reports of a toxic gas being prevalent. The building was evacuated, including students, teachers and staff. A dozen students were treated at the scene for respiratory problems and then taken to the hospital.

The students were treated at Connecticut Children's Medical Center in Hartford. They were all listed in stable condition.

The fire department blocked the street by Eastbury to all traffic while they checked the school but didn't find anything hazardous. Students were bused to the Gideon Welles School at 1029 Neipsic Road in Glastonbury for their parents to pick them up.

DEEP said they will be conducting air quality tests at the school today to see if they can learn more about this incident.

DEEP said they will take air samples from areas of the school that the students had occupied, as well as focus on areas where appliances, furnaces and storage areas are located. They said they will perform field tests on samples and have them taken to a lab for more detailed analysis.

"One girl was shaking and she couldn't stop so I feel like I've found that extremely scary," said Devin McHenry

Devin's mom, who received a voicemail saying her daughter was enroute to the hospital, didn't know what happened.

"When I did jump in my car, I basically reached out to social media and said 'who knows what's happening at Eastbury,' " said Darci McHenry

But then, when she walked into the emergency department, she saw Devin sitting up.

"I just started to have that you know big grin like all right you're good you're sitting up," said Darci McHenry.

When she first listened to her voicemail, she immediately thought we have another Sandy Hook tragedy on our hands.

"The first thing that goes through your head if there are multiple ambulances going to a hospital and it's a very unfortunate thought," she said.

Dr. Rogers says he hopes what comes out of this scare is a lesson for parents to make certain their children are properly hydrated every day, not just in the heat of the summer.

The Glastonbury Schools Superintendent's office sent a message to parents after the incident:

"Good morning, this is Dr. Bookman, Glastonbury Superintendent of Schools. I am calling and emailing to let you know we had a number of Eastbury students who felt faint in the school today. We are now contacting the parents of these students. We have evacuated the school and we are working with our staff and the fire department to try to determine any cause for this.  We are now bringing Eastbury students to Gideon Welles and you can pick them up at Gideon Welles as of 11:45."

According to the superintendent, the school will be open Friday.

Google Map for coordinates 41.686179 by -72.545078.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.