Ask the Attorney – Claim confusion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Ask the Atty,

My 10-year-old son was seriously injured in an accident while riding in my friend’s car. My friend said that since they got hit by an uninsured driver, I need to file a claim against my own policy, even though my vehicle was not involved. Is my friend correct? Can I make my ex-husband file a claim against HIS policy since he has joint custody? Who will be in charge of the claim, me or my ex? And once I get the money, can I use some of it to take both my kids to Disney in FL?