AMBER ALERT – Share to help find missing 1-year-old

Couple moving grill in SUV injured in explosion after one lights a cigarette: Police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ORLANDO — A couple moving a gas grill in an SUV was injured when one of the pair lit a cigarette and an explosion resulted on Sunday.

Orlando police released photos of the Kia Sorento that showed extensive damage to the SUV with the roof blown out, and the airbags deployed. The windshield was lying on the ground. All the other glass was blown from the vehicle.

Police said the couple in the SUV sustained burns; but their injuries were not life threatening.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the grill was turned on and the propane tank was open and connected.  The wife lit a cigarette and the SUV exploded according to police. After the explosion, the vehicle crashed into a pole

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.