Guide to helping the victims of Puerto Rico
How can you help the people of Puerto Rico and other island impacted by the hurricanes?
After a disaster, the most useful donations are cash.
- Americares provides emergency medicine, supplies and medical outreach.
- Catholic Relief Services works to provide shelter, water and critical supplies, including tarps, tents, and hygiene and kitchen kits to families affected by these disasters.
- Center for Popular Democracy donations will support immediate relief, recovery, and equitable rebuilding in Puerto Rico.
- Direct Relief focuses on medical relief for patients impacted.
- Hispanic Federation’s “Unidos” page will direct donations to help both Puerto Rico and Mexico in the wake of the earthquake.
- International Medical Corps provides emergency response teams provide lifesaving care and supplies to survivors.
- One America Appeal is the efforts by former U.S. Presidents to help recovery efforts in Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories in the region.
- American Red Cross
- Save the Children focused on the needs of families and their children.
- United for Puerto Rico is headed up by the First Lady of Puerto Rico and is a one stop site for donations and assistance. Click here to see this information in Spanish.
- UNICEF – UNICEF USA is mobilizing to get immediate, critical support like Emergency Survival Kits, to the children of Puerto Rico.
- GoFundMe – There is a hub for fundraising campaigns related to the hurricane here. Also included are campaigns for individual families seeking help for loved ones.
- FEMA federal employees can email email@example.com to apply and join the force’s rank.
United Way 211 Infoline resources
- Hurricane Maria – English Version
- El huracán María – Información y formas de ayudar (Hurricane Maria – Spanish Version)
How You Can Help:
Material Donations Needed
- Bottled Water
- Baby wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- Canned foods
- Dry foods
- Baby formula
- Garbage bags
- Canned milk
- Canned and dry pet food
- Baby and adult pain relief medicine
- Stomach and Diarrhea relief medicine
- Mosquito repellant
- First-aid kits
- Laundry detergents
- Dish soap
- Extension cords
- Ground fault protectors
- Pop-up canopies
- Crowbars Hammers
- Utility knives
- Work gloves
- Wood panels
- Electric generators
- Electric cables
- Safety glasses
Transportation and Logistics Support
- Receiving and Transporting material donations
- Collection and Storage of donations
A CTBPT United for PR Radio Telethon will take place from 1 to 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 1, at Sazon y Mambo, 1691 Main Street. The group will be collecting monetary donations and water, feminine hygiene products, waterproof flashlights, medicine, powdered milk for babies and adults, diapers, wipes, antibacterial wipes, generators and chainsaws for Puerto Rico’s Mayor’s Association Federation.
For information, call 203-336-3636. For the radio telethon, call 475-209-8788.