Official: Pressure cooker likely caused fire at St. Clements Castle in Portland

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Credit: Charles Elihu Lyman

PORTLAND — Fire officials said an unattended pressure cooker likely caused the fire that cut short a reception at a wedding venue earlier this year.

The couple was in the middle of cutting the cake at the banquet hall at St. Clements Castle and Marina on June 25 when staff alerted guests to a fire in a nearby building.

The Middletown Press reports  that East Hampton fire officials released the results of their investigation this week, saying the fire was accidental.

One employee suffered minor injuries in the fire but no guests were hurt in the fire.  The building was heavily damaged.