Check for closings, delays, and parking bans here

CCSU director of student conduct charged with kidnapping in domestic incident

NEW BRITAIN -- A Central Connecticut State University administrator has been placed on leave after being charged in connection with a domestic violence incident last week.

The university responded to the allegations Monday and placed Christopher Dukes on administrative leave as they continue to investigate.

Dukes appeared in Hartford Superior Court Monday afternoon.

He remained silent throughout the hearing as the judge read his charges which included first-degree kidnapping and strangulation.

It all stemmed from an incident on Monroe Street in Hartford early Wednesday morning. According to the arrest warrant, a woman frantically called 911 shortly after midnight and said Dukes threatened and assaulted her.

The woman told police Dukes was drunk and unexpectedly strangled her, grabbed her hair, and duct taped her hands and mouth. This all happened while there were two kids inside the home. The paperwork went on to explain Dukes punched her in the stomach and said he would kill her, but eventually let her go.

After a tense standoff that lasted for several hours, Dukes surrendered himself to police. Inside the home, police found 11 guns, 16 magazines and a BB gun.

The details came as a shock to the University.

"I am limited as to how much I can share with you because it is a personnel matter," said CCSU President Zulma Toro." "He is not allowed access to campus until the University conducts an investigation into this matter."

Sophomore Kristina DeVivo is a student who saw Dukes every morning and said Dukes never appeared dangerous.

"A lot of students looked up to him, I know that. It’s really sad that we had all these incidents on campus and it’s just not how our community is at all so it’s really sad to see that and I don’t want incoming students or parents to think that it’s unsafe on campus."

"I know a lot of people that get in trouble here for drinking and stuff and they go through him. Their punishment is through him. He's not any better. He's worse," said Shannon Bouffard, a junior at CCSU.

Dukes had nothing to say outside of court, but FOX 61 obtained messages posted to Duke's Facebook page:

"Cheater finally comes clean … breaks up family after 12-year marriage because of interest in a female, married co-worker."

"Sad things have to end this way. Could have all been avoided with some honesty. Liar!!!!!!"

"No harm to law enforcement!"

The University has assured everything will continue on as normal. Dukes was released on a $450,000 bail.

He is scheduled to appear in court again on Monday, May 7.