WEATHER WATCH: Snow expected for Saturday afternoon
AMBER ALERT – Share to help find missing 1-year-old
What’s on your Winter #CTBucketList?

Three arrested in connection to string of K2 overdoses in New Haven

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW HAVEN -- Officials have identified two suspects arrested in connection to the recent K2 overdoses this past week. Over 100 K2 (also known as spice, or synthetic marijuana), overdoses were reported.

The first man charged in this K2 case was 37-year-old Félix Melendez, of New Haven, who was arrested on a violation of probation charge, after cops found him in possession of K2.

“He was not arrested related to the K2 sales on the green, at this time,” said Campbell. “We are working to see what connections he may have to the green and this particular incident.”

The second person arrested is 53-year-old John Parker, of New Haven, who was caught with 32 bags of K2.

Police did confirm that a third arrest was also made, but that suspect has not been identified.

“We have two people arrested and we have one federal arrestee,” said Assistant Police Chief Herb Johnson. “We cannot disclose any information regarding the federal arrest.”

There were no additional overdoses reported on Friday. “To have 100 plus incidents of overdoses without one fatality, in my opinion, is nothing short of a miracle,” Campbell said.

The city is very hopeful of receiving assistance from the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services in combating problems on the green in general. They also plan on asking the governor for assistance with more resources.

“One of the things that we are looking at is getting recovery specialist to be out on the green at least 12 to 15 hours a day,” said Mayor Toni N.Harp (D) New Haven.

Chief Campbell, said that while there were over 100 overdoses, many of them were the same people who overdosed 4-5 times. Campbell also said during the press conference that they did not arrest victims because they did not find drugs on them, and rather than treating this as a crime, they want to instead get these people help.

Over 40 victims have been identified. Three of those who overdosed are still in critical condition. He also said that the situation would have been a lot worse if the police did not have a good relationship with the community.

The DEA continues to assist the New Haven police with the arrests, and into the investigation on how the mass overdose happened.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.