NEW HAVEN - A scare at a New Haven magnet school Tuesday morning as a pepper spray incident left students crying and screaming, according to one of the Edgewood School students.
At approximately 10:30 a.m., first responders were called here to the K through 8 school for a different tune being sung in the music room.
As relieved parents and students exited the school late this morning, some spoke of their experience.
“The pepper is really strong and my nose started burning a lot,” said Autumn Williams, a fourth grader at Edgewood.
She was in the music room when she says a boy sprayed some pepper spray.
“It went everywhere in the music room and everybody started coughing and then the ambulance came and the fire trucks,” she said.
Yale-New Haven Hospital reports one student was transported by ambulance. A representative of New Haven Public Schools tells Fox 61 that student is fine.
“It’s kind of odd,” said Eric Williams, who is Autumn’s father. “It’s probably just from somebody’s kids playing in there or the mother or father's drawers or pocketbooks. Taking stuff out.”
The pepper spray was believed to have gotten into the school’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.
But, did the boy even know what he was spraying?
Autumn Williams said the boy “just wanted to wear it and he sprayed it.”
He statement could lead one to believe the boy thought The contents of the container has been cologne.
Will Clark, Chief Operating Officer, for New Haven Public Schools, says a couple of students were treated on scene.
Autumn Williams was one of the students to have her face rinsed off. Students, who were not feeling well, were permitted to leave for the remainder of the day.