12 Deals of Christmas
AMBER ALERT – Share to help find missing 1-year-old

State Police: Second suspect involved in attempted armed robbery in Prospect arrested

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PROSPECT -- State Police say a suspect who was at large following an attempted armed robbery in Prospect has been arrested and charged with numerous crimes including manslaughter.

On Tuesday, State Police say they arrested the second suspect, 56-year-old Alton Woods, of Waterbury.

Woods was charged with manslaughter, manslaughter with a firearm, robbery, criminal possession of a firearm, unlawful restraint, assault, and conspiracy.  According to State Police, "Manslaughter applies in this instance because while attempting to commit an armed robbery and assaulting the business owner, Woods caused the death of a third person (the other robbery suspect who was shot and killed by the customer who legally possessed a firearm.)"

Officials said in this case, Woods was charged with manslaughter since they believe he caused the death of another person,  the deceased robbery suspect, Torrance Battle, 44, of Waterbury.

Woods was held on a $1 million bond, and was seen in court on the same day as the arrest.

The attempted robbery happened on November 30th, 2018. Police said two 9-1-1 calls came in shortly before 7 p.m., reporting an armed robbery and assault at Rt. 69 Auto Sales at 69 Waterbury Road.  People on scene told police that two masked men with handguns entered through the rear of the building attempting to rob it. They assaulted employees there, including pistol-whipping at least one person.

Police say a customer witnessed the assaults, drew a legally registered firearm and fired multiple rounds at the assailants, who fled through the rear of the business.

When troopers arrived they provided medical assistance to the owner and an employee.  The two victims were then taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Waterbury. A K-9 team was called in to search for the suspects. They found the body of Battle with gunshot wounds behind the building.

According to court documents from Connecticut's judicial branch website, Battle along with Ernest Garlington accepted money to kill Ray Allen's step father Derek Hopson.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.