ENFIELD - A gas leak shut down the Route 190 Bridge between Enfield and Suffield early this morning, and briefly forced the evacuation of nearby houses.
The leak at the Esquire Gas company on Spring Street was reported around 6 a.m. Police closed the road and fire officials evacuated eight homes in the area as a precaution.
TechAir, which operates the facility, said in a statement:
This morning (at approximately 5:30 AM) we immediately addressed a leak of carbon dioxide at a facility in Enfield, CT.
Our internal safety protocols were followed, and the matter is now resolved. There were zero injuries, and no adverse environmental impact.
In addition to instituting internal safety measures, we alerted first responders including the local fire department that led to response. Their leadership ensured a rapid resolution.
The leak was brought under control a short time later, and by 7:30 a.m. the scene had cleared and the bridge reopened.