HARTFORD -- On Saturday, October 12, thousands of runners will hit the streets of Hartford, West Hartford, East Hartford and South Windsor for the Hartford Marathon and Half Marathon.
The starting line for both races is on the south side of the state Capitol and finish line is under the iconic Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Arch in Bushnell Park.
"The Half" weaves through Downtown Hartford and runners up Park Street through Frog Hollow and Parkville. Park Street becomes Park Road into West Hartford. The route then goes north to Elizabeth Park and back down through the West End, ending Downtown.
The full marathon takes elite runners across the Connecticut River to East Hartford and up Main Street all the way north to South Windsor, where runners will turn around and head back to the capital city.
On race day, road closures and travel delays will begin at 7:30 a.m. and run through 2:00 p.m. You can check on parking access and other updates on the Hartford Marathon Twitter account @RunHMF:
Getting into downtown Hartford can be a challenge while the race is in progress. Here's how the Hartford Marathon Foundation suggests getting there:
Via I-91 or I-84. Park west or north of Bushnell Park and plan to walk 4-5 blocks to the finish line. Be aware that local streets will be closed to vehicle traffic. The best access downtown between 7:30 am and 9:00 am is I-84E Exit 49.
The Hartford Marathon Foundation is telling drivers to expect closures and/or delays on the following roadways:
Pearl Street, Ford Street, State Street, Founders Bridge, Asylum Street, Broad Street,
Farmington Avenue, Capitol Avenue, Sheldon Street, Prospect Street, Park Street, Van Dyke
Avenue, Washington Street, Laurel Street, Weston Street, Rev. Moody Overpass, Market
Street, Elizabeth Street, and Oxford Street.
Park Road, South Highland Street, Boulevard/South Quaker Lane, North Quaker Lane, Fern
Street, Troutbrook Drive, Albany Avenue (between Steele Road and Troutbrook Drive)
Steele Road, and Elizabeth Park.
Founders Bridge, East River Drive, Hartland Street, Meadow Street, Pitkin Street, South
Prospect Street, Main Street, Carroll Road and Silver Lane.
Old Main Street
There is no street parking for these Hartford streets (towing typically starts at 5:00 a.m. and restrictions stay in effect until 2:00 p.m.):
- Main street: both sides from pearl street to park street
- Washington street: both sides between capital avenue and park street
- Park street: both sides entire length
- Laurel street: both sides between park street and capitol avenue
- Capitol avenue: both sides between laurel street and Washington street
- Lafayette street: both sides between capitol avenue and Russ street
- Russ street: both sides between Lafayette street and Washington street
- Hudson street: both sides between Buckingham street and Pulaski circle
- Wells street: both sides entire length
- Jewell street: both sides entire length
- Ford street: both sides entire length
- Pearl street: both sides entire length
- Church street: both sides between main street and Trumbull street
- Market street: both sides entire length
- Prospect street: both sides entire length
- Charter oak avenue: both sides between Sheldon street and Van Dyke
- Wyllys street: both sides between main street and Wethersfield avenue
- Buckingham street: both sides entire length
- Oxford street: both sides between asylum avenue and Farmington avenue
- Farmington avenue: both sides between oxford street and asylum avenue
- Broad street: between asylum avenue and capitol avenue
- Asylum avenue: from broad street to ford street
- Asylum avenue: from prospect ave to Elizabeth street
- Elizabeth street: asylum avenue to oxford street
- Central row: both sides entire length
- State street: both sides entire length