AMBER ALERT – Share to help find missing 1-year-old
What’s on your Winter #CTBucketList?

Fire Marshal: Marino’s Restaurant fire cause accidental; owner battled flames

TORRINGTON – The Torrington and State’s Fire Marshal say they’ve determined a cause and origin for the fire that destroyed Marino’s Restaurant Thursday morning.

As one of the owners, Chris Marino, told FOX61’s Tony Terzi just after the fire, the fire marshal says that the fire started accidentally on the stove-top in the kitchen.

Fire Marshal Ed Bascetta tells FOX61 Marino stepped away from the stove for a moment and the fire started. The kitchen was equipped with a fire suppression system which did activate, but could not extinguish the fire. The owner grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried fighting the blaze, but couldn’t put it out.

The fire marshal said “Luckily he escaped with his life. We usually tell people ‘Just get out’.

The fire started just about 9 a.m. on Thursday, and destroyed the family business that has been a community landmark for six decades.

Google Map for coordinates 41.880162 by -73.075942.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.